Browse Items (294 total)

Ellensburg History


October 1888.
The Lynch Block on the southwest corner of Fifth and Pearl Streets was built by Patrick Lynch during the summer and fall of 1888 for $20,000. John Nash was the building contractor. Jackson & Maloney of the Johnson Hotel leased the upper portion of…

ca. 1905.
Located on the northeast corner of Third and Main Streets in Ellensburg was the large corner building called the Lyons Block. Built after the July 1889 fire, the building housed many saloons, smoke houses and boarding establishments. The S. R.…

c. 1898.
The large, two story brick building on the right of the photograph was the John Nash Block located on the southeast corner of Main and Fifth Streets. Construction on the building began in 1888 but was destroyed by fire in July 1889. Completed in…

ca.1940.
The small brick bank building located at the intersection of Pennsylvania Ave. and First Street in Roslyn housed the Roslyn Branch of the Cle Elum State Bank. Medical and dental offices were also located in the bank building.Postcard titled: "…

ca. 1906.
Dr. Kearby poses in front of the Cle Elum building he shared with a dentist. Kearby served as contract physician for the workmen during construction of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad.

ca. 1900.
This mine operated at Cle Elum's east end from 1900 to 1927. Originally a "company" (Northwestern Improvement) mine, it was later leased to independent operators. This postcard view is some years earlier than the 1916 photograph, titled…

ca. 1900.
The Northwestern Improvement Company, the mining and land investment branch of the Northern Pacific Railway, built many large mining facilities in Roslyn. Looking southwest from a major mining shaft, the coal mining power house, the small business…

ca.1930.
Ralph R. and Beatrice Crystal owned and operated the Mizpah Cabin Camp east of Cle Elum. It was located at the end of First East at the city limits. The cabins provided guests and visitors traveling along Highway 10 a comfortable, yet modern place…

December 1889.
The Nash Block located on the southeast corner of Fifth and Main was built immediately after the July 1889 fire. John Nash who was the contractor for the Kittitas County Courthouse built in 1886, financed the building of the Nash Block. Herman…

December 1889.
The Nash Block located on the southeast corner of Fifth and Main was built immediately after the July 1889 fire. John Nash who was the contractor for the Kittitas County Courthouse built in 1886, financed the building of the Nash Block. Herman…

ca. 1900
This very early photograph could be the dress making establishment of Mrs. Elizabeth Bostock and Miss Anna Kuhl., listed among "prominent business houses" in Roslyn as early as 1904. The well-dressed woman in the high-wheeled cart my be modelling…

1912.
Looking south from the tower of Barge Hall on the campus of the Washington State Normal School the entire length of Anderson Street is in view. The John C. Sterling house located on the southeast corner of Eighth and N. Anderson Streets is in the…

ca. 1914.
A unique view from North Pearl Street looking south toward the business district. The photograph was taken from the intersection of Pearl and Eighth Streets. Two large houses on the right belonged to the John Davidson family and the G. E. Dickson…

ca. 1983.
The well known Ellensburg landmark, the Davidson Building, on the northeast corner of Pearl and Fourth Streets symbolizes the early residents determination to immediately rebuild the city after the July 1889 fire. The large, two story brick…

ca. 1898.
Looking west on Fourth Street between Pine and Main Streets, many of the north side buildings can be seen. In the far distance is the large industrial and storage warehouses near the Northern Pacific Railroad yards. On the right is the Elmira…

ca. 1895.
This old, unique view of Third Street in about 1895 showed a glimpse of early day Ellensburg. The Owl Drug Store on the right was located on the northwest corner of Third and Pearl Streets. Continuing west on the north side of Third Street were…

ca. 1910.
Looking northwest from Craig's Hill toward Washington School 1890 on left and Washington State Normal School. Homes and small city farms east end of Fourth Street in foreground.Sepia toned photo postcard- titled: "No. 32 Residence Section,…

ca. 1917.
Though not as much of a company town as Roslyn, Cle Elum's business district was dominated by the massive NWI Co. store at First Street and Pennsylvania Avenue. The roofline of the long-gone building is still visible on the wall of the surviving…

ca.1935.
Located on the northwest corner of First and Pennsylvania Streets in Roslyn was the Northwestern Improvement Company's large brick store building. Often referred to as the N.W.I. Store, the company supplied most of the food, clothing and hardware…

ca. 1910.
Old blockhouse built on the George Shaser (1815-1899) homestead northeast of Ellensburg was constructed from large pine logs gotten from the surrounding hills. The old blockhouse was used by pioneers in self-defense and protection during the Bannock…