Browse Items (294 total)

Ellensburg History


ca. 1915.
North Pearl Street between Eighth and Sixth Streets was commonly known as "the heights." From the south side of the business district to Eighth Street there was a steady rise in elevation which gave the appearances of a hill on the north side of the…

1895
Early view of Pearl Street looking north from the intersection of Third and Pearl Streets. Schnebly home is large white house in center of photo at the end of street. People stroll along the sidewalks from business to business. Electric street…

January - February 1916.
Looking south on Pearl Street approaching the intersection of Pearl Street and Fourth Avenue during January or February of 1916, few people, wagons or sleighs were seen. On the left can be seen part of the old Ben Snipes Bank later the Washington…

ca. 1915.
Samuel Pearson constructed a 60 x 120 foot pressed brick building on the southwest corner of Fourth and Main Streets in 1908. It was built on the site of the old Blumauer Store, an early Ellensburg landmark. The ground floor of the Pearson Building…

ca. 1916.
Peoh Point and the South Cle Elum Ridge in the background can be seen looking south down Pennsylvania Avenue across the Northern Pacific Railroad tracks. The Central Annex and the large wooden Central Hotel are on the left and the Northwestern…

ca. 1915.
Bus drivers fixed harness, not engines, at the Peoh Point School located south-east of Cle Elum. After merger with Cle Elum District in 1917, the building housed Peoh Point Grange, and still stands, though unoccupied.

ca. 1958.
Looking south on Pine Street at the intersection of Pine and Fifth Streets the businesses on the west side of the street can be seen. The building on the southwest corner once housed the Greyhound Bus Depot which later became the J.C. Penney Store. …

ca. 1900.
The Northwestern Improvement Company's coal railroad lines ran through early day Roslyn transporting coal from the mines to the Northern Pacific Railway loading stations. Railroad Street ran through the center of Roslyn. The community baseball park…

ca. 1942.
The track watchman for the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad lived in this old depot in Garcia, Washington during the early 1940s. Located nine miles east of Cedar Falls in central King County, Garcia was a station for the C.M. & St.P. Railroad.

ca. 1915
Looking north the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad yard and tracks can be seen bordering South Cle Elum. Only a few houses and stores had been built at this time. Postcard titled "South Cle Elum, Wn." An L.B. Waters photograph. The Johnson…

ca. 1925.
Small houses of the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad workers at south Cle ELum can be seen in the foreground. There are several shacks of logs piled next to the railroad tracks awaiting shipment by rail. South Cle Elum grew steadily from its…

ca. 1915.
Looking north from the hilside south of South Cle Elum, the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad track and workers can be seen. South Cle Elum grew quickly after the construction of the railroad.Postcard titled "South Cle Elum, Wn."

ca. 1916.
Early cars could not compete with horses for freight delivery and country travel. At least two businesses offered first class rigs and courteous treatment to their customers. The Red Front shared a block on First Street with the Independent Saloon…

1889.
The Reed House, a large two story wood frame structure, was built in the newly created town of Cle Elum, Washington Territory in 1887. Walter J. Reed (1842-1908) established the community of Cle Elum as the Northern Pacific Railroad reached the…

May 9, 1915.
"Good Road Boosters" in front of the Reliable Auto Co., First Street and Oakes Avenue, Cle Elum, May 9, 1915. Building surived the 1918 fire and is essentially unchanged in 2002.

1912.
An early morning shadow of Barge Hall built in 1893 on the campus of the Washington State Normal School from where this photograph was taken can be seen in the foreground. The intersection of N. Sprague, D and Eighth Streets borders the southwest…

ca. 1905.
View of Roslyn Washington looking west towards the Cascade Mountains. First Avenue can be seen from bottom left corner to top right corner. Pennsylvania Avenue on far left. A portion of Roslyn's residential area is north of First Avenue.Postcard…

ca. 1895.
Looking north on Pearl Street at the intersection of Third Avenue and Pearl Street. Davidson Building in center, three story Kleinberg Building on right (should be on left) and the Kreidel Building on left (should be on right) surround the busy…

ca. 1915.
The town of Ronald was created when No. 3 mine was opened for coal mining in the late 1880s. Named after Alexander Ronald, Superintendent of the Northwestern Improvement Company. Miners and their families built homes on the company's land near the…

ca. 1913.
The original of this one-of-a-kind photograph is clear enough to allow identification of nearly all of these happy children, although no one living knows who they were or why they were marching.