Browse Items (294 total)

Ellensburg History


ca. 1897.
A serious group of students stand next to one of the many rural schoolhouses in the Kittitas Valley during the late 1890s. A student posed with the female teacher on the left along with two mothers and a father. The large wooden structure provided…

ca. 1916
Nicholas II was still Tsar, and the United States had not entered World War I, when this patriotic group gathered with their priest (center). Immigrants from the Russian Empire and its central and eastern European neighbors made up a large…

ca. 1916
This interior photograph was probably taken the same time as the exerior view, photo titled "Russian Orthodox Church, Cle Elum I."

ca.1940.
The Salmon La Sac Lodge located on the Salmon La Sac River west of Ronald, Washington provided summer visitors with comfortable cabins, groceries, prepared meals and horseback riding. Vacationing on the eastern slopes of the Cascade Mountains was…

December 1889.
The Samuel Kriegel Block, most often called the Kriegel Building was built by Samuel Kriegel (1854-1922) during the fall and winter of 1889 on the northeast corner of Third and Pearl Streets. Kriegel, a native of Germany, instructed the architects…

ca. 1950.
Located on the northeast corner of 8th Avenue and D Street, the Shaw Memorial Hall was built in 1929. The Washington State Legislature appropriated $100,000 for the construction of a large new classroom building for the college. Named after…

ca. 1950.
Situated on the snow covered ski slopes at the Hyak Ski Lodge on Snoqualmie Pass, class A and class B ski jumping hills can be seen. Northwest skiers used the jumps during the 1940s and 1950s.

ca. 1900.
Mining required large supplies of timber for props, buildings and so on. The short-lived Skookum Copper Mining Co. built its own saw mill to avoid hauling lumber long distances over rough or non-existant roads.

ca. 1900.
Mining required large supplies of timber for props, buildings and various mining facilities. The short-lived Skookum Copper Mining Co. built its own sawmill, to avoid hauling lumber long distances over rough or non-existent roads.Title on original…

December 1889.
The Smith Block was located on the southeast corner of Fifth and Main Streets. Very little information is available about this building, according to early accounts, the Smith Block housed the city jail during the mid 1890s.A supplement to West…

ca.1945
Skiers stand ready on the snow sled platform at the Hyak Ski Lodge on Snoqualmie Pass. The ski train would carry skiers to different locations on the snowy slopes.

Winter of 1915-1916.
The winter of 1915 and 1916 was one of the worst on record. Over 28 feet of snow fell in the Roslyn and Cle Elum area. The ground was covered with the first snowfall on November 11, 1915 and bare ground was not seen again until the first of April…

Winter of 1915-1916
Heavy snows during the winter of 1915-1916 kept the entire county covered with snow for months. The only means of transportation was by horse and sleigh, but after many snowstorms even horses could not travel through the deep snow. This photograph…

Winter of 1915-1916.
A team of six strong horses pulls a sled through three feet of new snow on E. First Street in Cle Elum during the winter of 1915-1916. From November until April over 28 feet of snow fell on the upper Kittitas County communities of Roslyn, Ronald…

ca. 1915.
South Cle Elum's early day business district consisted of two false front buildings. Houses were constructed for early residents, railroad workers and their families.Postcard titled "So. CLELUM, Wn."

ca. 1905.
South Cle Elum was located across the Yakima River south of Cle Elum. After the construction of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad's tracks, depot and roundhouse, the small community of South Cle Elum grew rapidly. Postmaster D. W. Blunt also…

ca. 1909.
The town of South Cle Elum was plotted in 1905. This resulted in a real estate boom. The town was laid out with four additions, namely: Burcham, Reed, Dixon and Petenger. The first store was a hardward store opened in 1905 by D. W. Blunt. He…

ca. 1915.
Looking north across the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway tracks, an early view of South Cle Elum, Washington can be seen. The Yakima River and portions of Cle Elum are in the distance. South cle Elum was created when the railroad…

ca. 1906.
The Washington School built in 1890 can be seen by looking southwest from the Barge Hall tower. Sprague Street. the main street in the picture runs from Eighth to Fifth Streets. John Satterwhite's house is center foreground. Congregational Church…

1910.
St. Andrews Roman Catholic Church was built in 1884 but was moved from Water Street to Pine in 1904 by Father John Sweens. A large new rectory was constructed at this time. The church and rectory face west on N. Pine Street between Seventh and…