Browse Items (294 total)

Ellensburg History


1910.
St. Andrews Roman Catholic Church was built in 1884 on the corner of Water Street and Fourth Avenue. John Shoudy deeded the town lots to the church for $1.00. $1,750 was raised for the construction of the church building. Father Parodi served as…

ca. 1895.
The Albany Hotel was located on the second floor of the Davidson Building and provided guests with large, luxury rooms. The corner below the familiar tower which offers guests a view of the busy downtown was always in demand. The Davidson Building…

ca. 1887.
In July 1879, a group of Ellensburg residents organized a Presbyterian Church. Rev, James A. Laurie, minister from 1884 to 1889, established the Ellensburg Presbyterian Academy for local children. Ten lots in Block 39 of Shoudy's First Addition…

ca. 1905.
The Ellensburg Public School, known both as the Washington and the Central Public School, was built in 1890 and classes began in September 1891. The third floor of the school housed the Washington State Normal School from 1890 to 1893. Ornamental…

ca. 1900.
The Washington or Central Public School (1890-1924) was located on East Fifth Avenue between Sprague and Anderson Streets. This view is looking northeast from the southwest corner of the schoolyard. During the early morning hours of November 7,…

ca. 1897.
The Washington or Central Public School (1890-1924) was used as a school to educate children and normal school students. Located on East Fifth Avenue between Sprague and Anderson Streets, the school was a landmark for 34 years.

ca. 1887.
The Ellensburgh Public School, known both as the Washington and the Central Public School, was built on the south portion of Block 39 of Shoudy's First Addition on E. Fifth Avenue between Sprague and Anderson Streets. The building was begun in July…

ca. 1905.
The Davidson Building completed in January 1890 at the northeast corner of Fourth and Pearl Streets became a well-known Ellensburg landmark with its recognizable tower. The popular Hotel Savoy which replaced the Albany Hotel about 1900 offered…

ca. 1890.
During the last 1880s many Northwest newspapers and magazines published accounts or advertising articles about Ellensburg and the Kittitas Valley. The N.W. Magazine's artists illustrated several new buildings in Ellensburg which were constructed…

ca. 1900.
The Elmira Building, built by W. W. Fish of Elmira, New York, was the first brick building completed after the fire of July 4th 1889. J. B. Love was the architect. High quality brick used in the building was from the first brick kilns fired by…

ca. 1900.
Located on the northeast corner of Third and Main Streets was the Cadwell-Lyons Building constructed immediately after the July 1889 Ellensburg fire. Looking both east down Third and north on Main, this photograph postcard was taken at the…

ca. 1900.
Crowds of people walk east along Third Street (Avenue) from the Northern Pacific Railroad Depot toward downtown Ellensburg. It was six blocks from the train depot to the major business district of Ellensburg. When the train arrived hotel carriages…

ca. 1912.
The small farming community of Thorp, Washington was established in 1895 and as the population grew and rural school districts consolidated, the need for a larger school became necessary. The large, two-story Thorp School was built close to the…

1906
Looking southwest toward the flooded Yakima River and the eastern end of Manastash Ridge. Three protestant churches are in view. In the foreground is the Presbyterian Church 1898 on the corner of Fifth and Sprague Streets; on the left is the…

ca. 1917
Many World War One "Doughboys" passed through Cle Elum on their way to or from Camp Lewis (later Fort Lewis) and other Puget Sound bases. However, the town's then notorious red light district was expressly off-limits to military personel.

ca. 1885.
Five men and two boys stood posed on wood sidewalks in this ca. 1889 photograph in front of and early Ellensburg two story, false front building. The structure housed a store of restaurant on the first floor with boarding rooms on the upper floor.

ca. 1915.
Looking southeast across Kittitas Valley from the east slopes of Craig's Hill, area farm houses and barns can be seen. Many acres of once arid sagebrush land have been cultivated.Reprint enlargement from original sepia photo postcard. Card titled-…

ca. 1916.
Looking southwest toward downtown Ellensburg from Barge Hall tower on Washington State Normal School campus. Intersection of Sprague Street and 7th Avenue. The Congregational Church in center, John Satterwhite's large house in lower left and the…

Between 1809 and 1923.
A view looking west from Craig's Hill of Ellensburg residential section of town from Fourth to Eighth Streets. Seventh Street in center of photo. Foreground is present location of Ellensburg Rodeo and Kittitas County Fairground. Wilson Creek at…

ca. 1940.
The photo shows a portion of the Ellensburg Rodeo arena with advertisements and residential homes on each side of the Chicago, Milwaukee, & St. Paul Railroad tracks. View looking northwest towards the Wenatchee Mountains and Mt. Stuart.Photo…