Browse Items (294 total)

Ellensburg History


ca.1905
This two-story house, located on Pennsylvania Avenue in Roslyn, WA, was called the Bohemian Club. It was used to house miners. It was located next door to the N.W.I. Company store. A picket fence, wooden sidewalks and young trees line the unpaved…

ca. 1900.
The large, two story Washington National Bank building located on the southeast corner of Fifth and Pearl Streets was constructed during the fall and winter of 1889. Edward P. Cadwell had the stone covered brick bank building built as the…

January 30, 1980.
Built in 1909 for the Ellensburg Brewing and Malting Co., the original two story brick building was valued at $16,000. Located on the southwest corner of Third and Pearl Streets, it opened in November 1909 as the Majestic Hotel. The structure was…

1910.
The Webster Hotel building on the southwest corner of 3rd Avenue and Pearl Street was constructed in 1909 by G. A. Knox for the Ellensburg Brewing & Malting Company. The structure, built of brick for hotel purposes, cost an estimated $16,000 to…

February - March 1916.
Deep snow filled the streets and was piled high on the sidewalks during the winter of 1916 in Ellensburg. People struggled to cross the streets, keep the walks cleared or navigate horse and buggy through the mounds of snow. Looking north on Pearl…

ca. 1897.
Taken from the newly constructed Barge Hall tower on the Washington State Normal School campus, the photograph provides a panoramic view looking down Eighth Street. Many large, comfortable homes that lined Eighth Street at the end of the 19th…

ca. 1915.
Looking west on Third Avenue during a winter afternoon between Pine and Pearl Streets many Ellensburg buildings built after the July 1889 fire can be seen. On the right are the S. P. Fogarty Building, the towered Kreidel Building, the Owl Drug…

ca. 1900.
A photograph of a pleasant residential street north of Ellensburg's business district on a snowy, winter afternoon shows snow covered boardwalks and tree lined streets.

1901.
From a second floor window of the Washington National Bank, formerly the Ben Snipes Bank, this photograph was taken looking west down Fourth Avenue at the intersection of Fourth and Pearl Street. The large Cadwell-Olympic Building housed the Elwood…

ca. 1914.
The Woolen Mill, located on South Water Street in the Depot Addition, was constructed in 1911 and was open for operation by the spring of 1912. The mill processes raw wool into yarns. The wool mill only operated for about four years. For many…

ca.1908.
During the early years of the 1900s, the generous residents of Roslyn contributed money to build the large and spacious Young Men's Christian Association building. The building provided space for many social and entertainment activities.Postcard…

ca. 1945.
The Young Men's Christian Association building on the northwest corner of Fourth and Waters Streets was built in 1911. Over $50,000 was raised by members of the community for construction on the new building. The site was donated by Mr. & Mrs. Sam…

1912.
Located on the northwest corner of Water Street and Fourth Avenue, the Young Men's Christian Association building was built in 1911. Over $50,000 was raised by members of the community for construction of the new building. The site was donated by…

ca. 1920.
The Young Men's Christian Association building on the northwest corner of 4th Avenue and Water Street was built in 1911. Land was donated by Ellensburg businessman Sam Pearson. Over $50,000 was raised by members of the community for construction of…