Browse Items (294 total)

Ellensburg History


ca. 1899.
The large four-story brick Barge Hall built in 1893-1894 was the first and only building on the Washington State Normal School campus for the first eighteen years of the school's existence. Barge Hall classrooms and offices for the entire student…

ca. 1903.
Viewing the west side and south or main face of the Washington State Normal School's first building, Barge Hall was built in 1893-1894. Located on the north side of 8th Avenue between D and E Streets, the structure provided classrooms and offices…

ca. 1902.
A view of the west and south sides of Barge Hall built in 1893-1984 was the first building of the Washington State Normal School. Barge Hall is located on the north side of 8th Avenue between D and E Streets. Leafless trees which surrounded the…

ca. 1915.
Looking west across the campus gardens of the Washington State Normal School south of 8th Avenue, the first three structures can be seen. Barge Hall (left) built in 1893-1894 provided classrooms and faculty and administrative office. The Training…

ca. 1902.
Barge Hall built in 1893-1894 was the first building on the Washington State Normal School campus. The main entrance was located directly beneath the 120' bell tower of the four-story brick structure. The building's early landscaping consisted of…

Late fall 1888 or early spring 1889.
The first horse show in Ellensburgh, Washington Territory occured during the late fall of 1888 or the early spring of 1889 in front of the beautiful stone Ben Snipes Bank. Charles Helm a local horse rancher owned the center horse which sold for…

ca. 1908.
Mrs. William "Bertha" Rehmke (left) and Mrs. Otto "Ellen" Pautzke (1868-1960) rest with their bicycles on the northeast corner of North Main Street and Sixth Avenue in this circa 1908 Pautzke photograph. Mrs. Rehmke was the wife of well-known…

ca. 1908.
Mrs. William "Bertha" Rehmke (left) and Mrs. Otto "Ellen" Pautzke (1868-1960) rest with their bicycles on the northeast corner of North Main Street and Sixth Avenue in this circa 1908 Pautzke photograph. Mrs. Rehmke was the wife of well-known…

Spring 1908.
The Big Store Company Building originally known as the Nash Block was located on the southeast corner of Fifth and Main Street. Bradshaw, Murray and Hornbeck purchased the entire building for a department store selling everything from paints to…

1900
Photograph taken from Craig's Hill east of Ellensburg. Washington School 1890 on left and Barge Hall 1893 on right provide educational facilities for public school and normal school students.Zetzsche Co. produced a colored postcard from O. W.…

1900
Original Pautzke photograph of northwest portion of Ellensburg taken from Craig's Hill. Washington School built in 1890 on left and Barge Hall built in 1893 on the Washington State Normal School campus on right two well known Ellensburg…

ca. 1900.
Those are wooden bocce balls, not home-grown grapefruit, in the hands of these recent immigrants. The Italian lawn bowling game was a favorite recreation for decades.

ca. 1925.
Construction on the two story brick Methodist Church in Ellensburg was begun in 1920 and the building was dedicated on July 31, 1921 by Bishop W.A. Shepard. The church was built across the street from it's former location to the southeast corner of…

December 1888.
The Lloyd-Cadwell building, often referred to as the Cadwell Building or Block, on south side of Third Street between Pearl and Pine was completed in November 1889. The estimated cost of the Lloyd-Cadwell Building was $15,000. The building was…

December 1889.
The Cadwell Block built by E. P. Cadwell was sold in 1900 to a group of investors from Olympia, Washington. Located on the west side of Pearl between Fourth and Fifth Streets, the building became known as the Olympia Block. It was another example…

ca. 1940.
Gas pumps wait patiently for travelers along the Sunset Highway over Snoqualmie Pass to stop at this Hyak café for gas and hamburgers. The café provided living quarters in the rear of the building for the owner-operator.

ca.1905.
The Roslyn Catholic Parish was formed on August 30, 1889 from the already existing parish in Ellensburg. James J. Quinn (1841-1921) was instrumental in raising money to have the church built. The gacefull and high-towered Immaculate Conception…

ca. 1910.
Catholic school children posed in front of the Lourdes Academy of St. Anrews Roman Catholic Church. The academy was built in 1908 and used for a school until June 1966. The academy building not only housed the grade and high school, but also a…

November 11, 1899.
Looking north on Pearl Street under the large evergreen arch located in the center of the intersection of Pearl Street and Fourth Avenue, the Davidson Building can be seen on the right and the Cadwell-Olympic Building on the left. The large…

ca. 1935.
Two Roslyn businesses located on the west side of Pennsylvania Avenue during the 1930s were Central Drug Company and Slim's (Slims) Place. In 1918 the Central Drug Store was owned by Mr. Tim who after entering World War I sold the business to E. E.…