Browse Items (294 total)

Ellensburg History


ca. 1906
Dr. Kearby's buggy paused in front of the Central Hotel on Pennsylvania Avenue.

ca. 1900
Most of this festive crowd looks south toward the Northern Pacific Railroad depot, perhaps at an oncoming parade. The gingerbread wooden hotel dominated the eastern side of Pennsylvania Avenue. The Central Hotel was built in 1903.

ca. 1912.
Looking south toward Peoh Point and South Cle Elum Ridge, the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad depot is seen located and the end of the street. With the coming of the C.M. and S.P. Railroad in 1909 the depot was constructed and the community…

1912
Touring clergymen at the Milwaukee Road Depot in South Cle Elum, 1912. A Catholic bishop had come to visit the St. John the Baptist Church in Cle Elum. The depot was built in 1908, lead car (an "E-M-F") last built 1910. Depot under renovation, 2002;…

1919.
The Christian Church in Ellensburg was established in 1882 by Keithly Bailes a pioneer circuit rider preacher. The present two story, brick structure located on the northeast corner of Ruby Street and Sixth Avenue was erected in 1919 during the…

June 1918.
Burned-out shells of buildings line Cle Elum's first streeet after the June 25th, 1918 fire. At the right, the Cle Elum Bank Building, still a bank in 2002. At rear, one of the school buildings used as a temporary homeless shelter.

ca. 1915.
Though these firemen posed proudly before a parade in the years around 1910, their hand-drawn and pumped hose cart was almost useless against a major wind-driven blaze, conclusively proven in 1918. The department acquired its first truck, a used…

June 25, 1918.
High winds forced a trash fire out of control, burning thirty square blocks, including most of the business district, the afternoon of June 25, 1918. 1,500 homeless people took shelter in the school (left center) and the Independent Mine Building…

circa 1904
The large, two-story Cle Elum High School was built in 1904 on East Second Street. The wood frame building consisted of eight rooms; four rooms were located on each floor. Mr. James Thomas was the principal. Mr. C. G. Holm was hired so students would…

ca. 1920.
Mrs. Thomas Gamble and caretaker, John Marusik, in front of Gamble home at 603 E. Third, Cle Elum, circa 1910s-1920s. The home's careful landscaping of vines, flowers and fruit trees is an indication that the property and home were well cared for. …

1909.
The first two story wooden frame hospital was destroyed by fire in July 1908. The land was donated to the miners and people of Cle Elum by Walter J. Reed. In 1909, a newer, larger brick hospital was rebuilt on the same site by contractors Don…

ca. 1926
Photo taken near the intersection of Harris Avenue and First Street in Cle Elum, WA.

Both sides of busy First Street were lined with vintage 1920s automobiles in this Cle Elum photograph. The Cle Elum State Bank building is on the left at the…

ca.1910.
The Cle Elum State Bank was organized in November 1904 by J. Green, A. Mitchum, M. Adams, R. Stacy, Rev. L. Brown and F. Carpenter. In 1906, A. S. Paul, a contractor, constructed the two story brick building on the corner of E. First street and…

ca. 1935.
In 1906 A. S. Paul, a contractor, constructed a two story brick building on the corner of E. First Street and Harris Avenue for the new location of the Cle Elum State Bank. The bank was organized in November 1904. Also housed in this building were…

ca. 1910
With the discovery of coal in the foothills around Cle Elum in 1884 and the construction of the Northern Pacific Railroad in 1886, many miners, farmers and lumbermen had already established a thriving community when Walter Reed plotted 60 acres of…

ca. 1900.
Looking south on Pennsylvania Avenue towards the Northern Pacific Railroad tracks and water tank, several horse drawn buggies and wagons can be seen in this early view of Cle Elum. On the right was the Northwestern Improvement Company's store which…

ca. 1917
A southern view of Pennsylvania Avenue in Cle Elum, Washington, looking toward Mt. Peoh. The image shows the nearby pine-covered foothills which border the coal mining community. Electric power poles are an indication that the city had electric…

ca. 1905.
The porch and balcony of the Central Hotel stands out among its false-fronted neighbors. One of the first electric streetlights, powered by the N.W.I. Co.'s generator, hangs from the pole at right. Though the company and the town sometimes bickered…

January 1916.
Looking south toward the South Cle Elum Ridge in January of 1916, the community of Cle Elum was covered with deep snow. During the early months of 1916 Kittitas County experienced one of the heaviest snowfalls in its history. Twenty-eight feet of…

ca. 1941
The South Cle Elum Ridge of the Cascade Mountains border Cle Elum on the southwest. Cle Elum, the largest community in Northern Kittitas County, once was a busy coal mining an upper county railroad center.Postcard titled "Birds Eye View - Cle Elum,…