Browse Items (294 total)

Ellensburg History


1908.
Taken from the Northern Pacific Railroad Depot, this 1908 street scene shows more horse-drawn vehicles than cars. Nearly all wooden structures were replaced with the present brick buildings after the fire ten years later.Original photograph titled:…

ca. 1905.
The rich coal deposits in the Roslyn area fostered the rapid growth of the town. Twenty years after its creation, Roslyn had a population of nearly 4,000. As the business district grew, the residential areas spread in all directions. The large…

ca. 1950.
Built in 1929, the Shaw Memorial Hall provided additional classrooms and space for the college library. Located on the northeast corner of 8th Avenue and D Street, the building with its six large classic Greek columns became a well known Ellensburg…

ca. 1898.
Looking west at the intersection of Third (Avenue) and Pearl Streets many ornate post July 1889 fire buildings can be seen. The popular Owl Drug Store on right and center was the first business on Pearl Street's busy west side. The large fronted…

ca.1910.
Behind the trees can be seen the old Kittitas County Courthouse located on the west side of Main Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues. The large grassy area was known as Courthouse Square. People are seen sitting under trees on the lawn of the…

1926
The fourth Cove School (District No. 39) was built shortly after 1913. It had two school or classrooms divided by a sliding wall, a stage, two cloakrooms, a manual training room, two bathrooms and a large kitchen and meeting room in the back of the…

ca. 1950.
The original Damman School was built on skids and was located on the Snowden property. On January 23,1893, the building was sold to Merritt Matthew Damman for the sum of $10.00 and he moved the building to it's current site on Damman Road west of…

December 1889.
One of the brick buildings in construction in downtown Ellensburg before the fire of July 4th 1889, was the Davidson Building on the northeast corner of Fourth and Pearl Streets. Designed by J. B. Randal and built by John B. Davidson, Ellensburg…

ca. 1898.
District No. 12 school in 1889 had just been created. The school was located on the J. Clerf place, above the northeast corner of Abe Wheeler's ranch. In 1891 Mr. W. Crowley was the first teacher with 42 students. With the increase of student…

ca. 1889.
Coal was discovered in 1883 on land owned by the Northern Pacific Railway Company. The company located several mines in 1886. The town of Roslyn was established during these years, was dedicated on November 22, 1889 and incorporated in 1890 with a…

ca. 1885.
A two story wooden boarding house offered rooms for local Ellensburg residents and people travelling through the area. This corner structure also housed a hardware store on the right and a restaurant or saloon in the main building.

August 1890
Photograph taken from the west slopes of Craig's Hill looking west down Fourth Street. The Presbyterian Academy can be seen in center of photo.F. Jay Haynes, the official photographer for the Northern Pacific Railroad, photographed early Ellensburgh…

ca. 1888.
A very early Ellensburgh photograph showing several one-story false front businesses on the southeast corner at the intersection of Main (right) and Third (left) Streets. The New Corner Saloon was located where the New York Restaurant was built in…

ca. 1895.
Busy afternoon scene of Pearl Street looking north at the intersection of Third Avenue. Ornate Kreidel Building, Ben Snipes Bank, and Davidson Building are on right side of street. Three story Kleinberg Building, Boss Bakery, Geddis Buiding,…

ca. 1898.
Taken at the intersection of Fourth Avenue and Pearl Street this view is looking north on Pearl Street. The large Davidson Building on the right housed the ever popular and elegant Albany Hotel on the second floor. The Horton Hotel on the left was…

ca. 1900.
Taken at the intersection of Fourth Avenue and Pearl Street this wide angle view is looking north on Pearl Street. The large Davidson Building on the right , often called the Phoenix Building housed businesses and the Albany Hotel. The Horton Hotel…

ca. 1905.
A wide angle view of Pearl Street looking north to Eighth from the intersection of Third and Pearl Streets, this view shows Ellensburg's major business district with the ornate, late 19th century buildings. On the left side of the street were the…

ca. 1918.
Looking south down Pearl Street across Fifth Street, many of the buildings and businesses in Ellensburg's busy business district can be seen. The recognizable towers of the Davidson and Kreidel Buildings at the east side of the street and the…

ca. 1925.
Looking north up Pearl Street across the intersection of Third and Pearl Streets, early day automobiles line both sides of the street in the busiest business district in Ellensburg. The large St. Regis Hotel on the left and a portion of the grand…

ca. 1898.
A unique wide angle view of Pearl Street looking south from the intersection of Fourth Street. The late afternoon scene shows a few men and women strolling the nearly empty streeet. The large bay window of the Albany Hotel in the Davidson Building…