Browse Items (294 total)

Ellensburg History


ca. 1900.
Looking north on Pearl Street between Third and Fourth Avenues, this reserved view shows the very busy Ellensburg business district. The Kreidel Building on left (should be right) and the Kleinberg Building on right (should be left) were built…

ca. 1900.
Looking north on Pearl Street between Third and Fifth Avenues the west side buildings can be seen. Starting on the left is the Owl Drug Store, the Kleinberg Building, Boss Bakery, the Geddis Building, the Cadwell-Olympic Building and the Horton…

ca. 1915.
Looking north up Pearl Street at the intersection of Third and Pearl Streets, many early automobiles can be seen parked along both sides of the street. Most of the Pearl Street businesses advertised with large over the sidewalk hanging signs.Poor…

1915.
Looking south on Pearl Street across the intersection of Fifth and Pearl many of the post 1889 Ellensburg buildings can be seen. On the west side of the street were the Reynolds Garage at 507 N. Pearl Street operated by Alfred Reynolds (1858-1950),…

ca. 1915.
Looking north up Pearl Street at the intersection of Third and Pearl Streets, Ellensburg's busiest street in the business district provided many commercial services to the area residents. The Owl Drug Store on the left and Fred P. Wolff's clothing…

ca. 1915.
Looking north up Pearl Street south of the intersection of Third and Pearl Streets the large three story, brick St. Regis Hotel can be seen on the left. The hotel taxi was parked on the street ready to transport visitors to and from the Northern…

ca. 1930.
Taken from the middle of the intersection of Third and Pearl Street, the view is looking north on Pearl Street. Vintage 1920s and 1930s automobiles lined the busy business district street as shoppers and visitors frequented the many stores. The…

ca. August 1948.
Rodeo banners and flags are flying from buildings and across Pearl Street as the city of Ellensburg prepares for its annual rodeo. Looking north on Pearl Street from the intersection of Third and Pearl Streets the active business district of…

ca. 1958.
Looking north on Pearl Street between Third and Fourth Streets, this late 1950s section of Ellensburg remained the central business district. The towered Davidson Building, a well known landmark of Ellensburg, was constructed in the fall of 1889. …

1912.
In the late 1880s when No. 3 coal mine opened, the town of Ronald was created. Named after Alexander Ronald, Superintendent of the Northwestern Improvement Company, the town was a supply center for miners and their families. The miners built their…

ca. 1895
Photo taken in May 1892. A crowd had gathered for the funeral of the 45 killed in the great mine explosion in Roslyn, WA. People arrived at the town's center by horse and buggy from the outlying areas.

Newly constructed wood frame buildings…

ca. 1895.
Men stood at the intersection of First Street and Pennsylvania Avenue as a lone horse and buggy came into town. Looking west down First Street a large freight wagon and team can be seen loading supplies at the front of a store. The large, brick…

Pre-July 4, 1889
Looking west from foot of Craig's Hill toward the small business district of Ellensburgh. Large white building is the Presbyterian Academy and Church. The academy was the first public school in the frontier community. Large building in distance…

August 1890
Taken from the intersection of Chestnut and Third Streets looking west toward the rebuilt business district of Ellensburgh, Washington. E. B. Craig's large three story house at the far left was to have been the governor's mansion if Ellensburgh…

ca. 1915.
Looking north on Pearl Street at the intersection of Third and Pearl Streets. The Kreidel, Washington National Bank and Davidson Buildings are the three major buildings in the photograph.Postcard titled: "East side of Pearl Street, looking north…

ca. 1915.
Looking north on Pearl Street from the intersection of Third and Pearl Street, a circa 1915 automobile is parked in front of the Kreidel Building. Built in 1889 by Samuel Kreidel in the High German Romantic style of architecture, this unique…

ca. 1909.
Looking east on Third Street between Pearl and Pine Streets, two men and a boy posed in their wagon which was pulled by two restless horses. The one story brick Isis Theatre on the north side of the street was built after 1897. The theatre operated…

ca. 1942.
Looking east on Fourth Street at the intersection of Fourth and Pearl Streets, the distant western slope of Craig's Hill is in the background. The towered Davidson Building often referred to as the Phoenix Block is an Ellensburg landmark. The…

ca. 1910.
The Training School of the Washington State Normal School was built in 1908 and used as an elementary school for children and training of future teachers. The building was a large three story brick structure located on the east side of D Street…

ca. 1910.
Looking west down Eight Street from Craig's Hill. Washington State Normal School in center of photo showing Barge Hall 1893 and Edison Hall 1908.Hand tinted color photo postcard. Sectional View, Ellensburg, Wash. Sprouse & Son, Tacoma, Wash. …