Browse Items (294 total)

Ellensburg History


ca. 1925.
The B.P.O.E Building, known as the Elks' Temple, on the northeast corner of Fifth and Main Streets was built in 1923 by the local Elks chapter for $56,000. The Ellensburg Elks Lodge building commitee consisted of Hubbell, Morrison, Palmer, Sorenson,…

ca. 1915.
The large, two story Washington National Bank building located on the southeast corner of Fifth and Pearl Streets was constructed during the fall and winter of 1889 by Edward P. Cadwell. The building housed a variety of banks until 1937 when the…

ca. 1912.
Katherine Murray sold the lots on North Ruby Street to the City of Ellensburg for $1.00 in 1907. Her stipulation was that there must always be a public library at this location or the property would revert to her heirs. After obtaining a $10,000…

ca 1912.
The Carnegie Public Library, built in 1909, was Ellensburg's first library building. This library was used until the summer of 1966 when it was demolished for the construction of a new library.Same image at #BLD-081.

ca. 1910.
The newly constructed Carnegie Public Library was completed in late fall 1909. Located at 209 N. Ruby Street, the classic stype Carnegie Library served the patrons of Ellensburg until 1966.Postcard titled: "D3896 New Carnegie Library, Ellensburg,…

ca. 1930.
A reserved image of Ellensburg Carnegie Library built in 1909 and opened in 1910 shows the large Lloyd's Opera House located on Pine Street. This library was located at 209 N. Ruby Street from 1909 until 1966 when a new, modern library building was…

ca. 1940.
Built in late 1909 and opened in 1919, the Ellensburg Carnegie Public Library was the first public library in the city. A $10,000 grant from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation was used for construction. The furnishings and entire book collection as…

ca. 1900.
Possibly a Catholic of Episcopal Church service in Ellensburg, Washington with a procession of alter boys, deacons and priest approaching the church. The church and location not identified.Incorrectly identified as the Episcopal Church in Ellensburg…

ca. 1938.
The Ellensburg City Hall building on the southeast corner of Fifth and Pearl Streets was constructed by the National Bank of Ellensburg as a modern banking facility in 1930. From 1888 until 1930 the property had been occupied by a two story brick…

1918.
Construction began on the new Ellensburg Federal Building and Post Office in early February 1916. The United States Treasury Department awarded the construction contract to Thomas E. Young of Seattle for $53,916. James A Wetmore was the acting…

ca. 1915.
With the growing population of Ellensburg, the Washington School could no longer house all the local students. In 1912, a large, three story, brick high school was constructed on South Sprague Street between first Avenue and Capital Street. G. H.…

ca. 1935.
The east side and main entrance of the Ellensburg High School, built in 1912 on South Sprague Street. The building housed grades 9-12 and was the first our year high school building in Ellensburg. The building was last used as a high school during…

ca. 1920.
The east side and main entrance of the Ellensburg High School, built in 1912 on South Sprague Street. The building housed grades 9-12 and was the first our year high school building in Ellensburg. After 1930, when the Morgan Junior High School was…

1896
Wilson Creek pond at Fourth and Chestnut Streets east of Ellensburg business district. Large white building is the Presbyterian Academy and Church. Tall church steeple in center is Baptist Church on Fourth and Sprague.E. J. Hamacher was early…

ca. 1955.
Serving the patrons of Ellensburg and Kittitas County for nearly 50 years at the time of this photo, the old library building was a well known community landmark at 209 N. Ruby Street. The Whipple family house on the far left was used as a church…

ca. 1913.
In 1913 the Ellensburg Water Company was changed to an irrigation district and many of the wooden canals and ditches were replaced with steel flumes. At this time the irrigation district entered into a contract with the United States government for…

1911
The Chicago, Milwaukee, & St. Paul Railroad tracks from the east slope of the Craig's Hill cut looking east. The sweeping curve of the tracks is the location on Knudson Lumber Yard.Reprint original Asahel Curtis photograph in the University of…

ca. 1905.
A panoramic winter view of Ellensburg looking west from Craig's Hill. Seventh and Eighth Streets are streets in center of photo.From Mires Scrapbook at Kittitas County Historical Museum.

Fall 1968
In 1967 the old Carnegie library building was demolished and to replace it the new Ellensburg Public Library was built. The new building was opened June 30, 1968, with Patricia Dalglish as head librarian. When the library opened it housed 30,000…

December 1889.
After the July 4th 1889 fire, the city of Ellensburg planned to build a large, impressive City Hall. This city hall illustrated in the West Shore magazine was never built. Ellensburg, recovering from the fire that destroyed most of the downtown…