Browse Items (294 total)

Ellensburg History


ca. 1895.
Looking east on Fourth Street at the intersection of Fourth and Pearl Streets four well known early Ellensburg building can be seen. On left the Cadwell-Olympic Building, and the towered Davidson Building and on the right the Geddis Building and the…

ca. 1915.
This fraternal or ethnic organization of Cle Elum or Roslyn gathered for this photograph. Men, women and children display American and symbolic fraternal or ethnic flags.

June 13, 1888.
S. R. Geddis (1838-1912) an early day Ellensburg businessman had the large, two story brick Geddis Block built and completed by the summer of 1888. It was located on the southwest corner of Fourth and Pearl Streets. A group of men and boys posed for…

ca.1905.
Purchased in March of 1889 the lot on the northwest corner of N. Sprague Street and Fourth Avenue would be the future site of the Grace Episcopal Church, Rectory and Parish House. During the ministry of Rev. Bard money was raised for the…

ca.1907.
The small wooden Grace Episcopal Church located on the northwest corner of N. Sprague Street and Fourth Avenue served the church members from 1897 to 1964. Rev. C.L. Reese stands on the entry steps of the church with two young boys, a woman with a…

ca. 1908.
Part resort, part hospital, this may well have been the largest building in Kittitas County a century ago. Advertisements promised, "For those seeking rest of relaxation, there is no more pleasant place to visit. Orchestra plays at mealtimes and…

ca. 1908.
The partners boasted "the largest and best stock in our line" at their First Street location, one block east of Pennsylvania Avenue. Note the dust goggles on three of the "autoists," and the coil of rope at the rear, both made necessary by unpaved…

ca. 1911.
Completed in 1911 fro $3,150.00, the Hazelwood School served students in Cle Elum's east end (Floral Avenue between Second and Third Streets) until 1930. The wooden structure accomodated eight classrooms.

Winter 1916.
The winter of 1916 paralyzed automobiles but not the horses, pedestrians and trains braving the weather on Cle Elum's Pennsylvania Avenue. NWI Store is now a vacant lot; the drug store next door houses a coffee roasting company in 2002.

Winter 1916.
The winter of 1916 paralyzed automobiles, but not the horses, pedestrians, and the trains braving the weather on Cle Elum's Pennsylvania Avenue. N.W.I. store is now a vacant lot; the drugstore next door houses a coffee roasting company in 2002.

Late winter 1915 or early winter 1916.
Kittitas County experienced one of the worst winter snowfalls ever during the winter of 1915 - 1916. Heavy snow began falling on November 11, 1915 and the bare ground was not seen again until April 1916. Transportation was very difficult and all…

ca.1905.
Mrs. J. P. Moreau and her daughter stand on the front porch of their house on second Street in Roslyn, Washington. Second Street runs from east to west through the entire town. Moreau's house situated on a hill was on the west end of…

ca.1905.
Mr. & Mrs. William Reese stand on the front porch of their large, late Victorian style, two story house in Roslyn, Washington. Two pet dogs and a cat pose with their owners. Reese , a successful businessman and land investor, arrived in Roslyn in…

ca. 1911.
"Our collector will call. Mail or express consignments will receive immediate attention," proprietor C. S. Enright advertised in 1909. Clean clothes were a challenge in a coal mining town; running water in homes, and efficient electric machines,…

1889.
The Horton Hotel was planned by its builders to be the greatest convention center and hostelry in the Northwest. The hotel site on the southwest corner of Sixth and Pearl Streets was donated by George Elliott. The structure was built by two…

December 1889.
The Hotel Horton more commonly called the Horton Hotel was located on the southwest corner of Sixth and Pearl Streets. The large two story hotel was completed in 1890 and contained 95 steam heated rooms. The hotel claimed to be one of the most…

ca.1934.
The Hotel Travelers at 102 First East, managed by Herman A. Greenburg, and the older, more ornate Royal Hotel at 110 1/2 First East, managed by Tillie Merker, offered accomodations to visitors to Cle Elum during the 1930s. A barber shop, drug store…

ca. 1945
During the snowy, winter months the Hyak Ski Lodge became a destination for many northwest skiers. Located on Snoqualmie Pass, skiers visiting the area would ski in the Milwaukee Ski Bowl.The black & white snapshot photograph has been hand tinted in…

1940.
The large, two-story Hyak Ski Lodge located on Snoqualmie Pass sits empty during the summer months of 1940.

ca. 1916.
This mine was one of the first in Cle Elum. It changed hands several times between its opening in 1900 and closure in 1927. The site near the east city limits now contains homes.