Browse Items (294 total)

Ellensburg History


ca. 1916.
This mine, one of the first in Cle Elum, changed hands several times between its opening in 1900 and closure in 1927. The site near the east city limits now contains homes.

ca. 1898.
A wide angle view of the intersection at Fourth and Pearl Streets looking north. The Davidson Building with it's Albany Hotel on the right and the Cadwell-Olympic Building, on the left, in which the Elwood Drug Store was located were two of the…

ca. 1896.
Looking south on Pearl Street at the intersection of Pearl and Sixth Streets, this late 1890s photograph shows the rustic boardwalk and unpaved streets of Ellensburg. On the left is the Honolulu Block located on the northeast corner of Pearl and…

1889.
Thomas Gamble and Walter Reed homesteaded in the Cle Elum - Teanaway area in the northern portion of Kittitas County in the early years of the 1880s. With the discovery of coal in 1884 by Walter Reed and Pete Brosious and the construction of the…

ca.1917.
Herman Hansen was the local manager of the Johnson Brothers and Company General Merchandise store in South Cle Elum about the time this L. B. Waters photograph was taken. The store's slogan "What you buy we stand by" advertised Johnson Brothers…

ca. 1887.
The Johnson House was built by Thomas Johnson (1840-1908) in 1884 at the northwest corner of Fourth and Pearl Streets. The third floor was a ballroom, and the first and second floors were the hotel proper. The huge frame structure was completely…

ca.1914.
Jonesville (also known as Beekman), a community of 300 between Ronald and Lake Cle Elum, served a Roslyn Fuel Co. Mine. The mine closed in 1928, and the houses were torn down or moved to Ronald and Roslyn.This image can also be found as a hand…

1917
Earle Kahler's drug store had been there over a decade when this picture was taken, next to the N.W.I. store on Pennsylvania Avenue. Dr. Roland Low, whose sign hangs outside his second floor office, practiced in Cle Elum from 1909 to 1917. The…

ca. 1920.
Built in 1911 as the first girls dormitory on the campus of Washington State Normal School, Kamola Hall was constructed in a Spanish style of locally made bricks. The elegantly decorated hall was named Kamola, the daughter of the famous Kittitas…

1912.
Kamola Hall, constructed in 1911, was the first dormitory built on the Washington State Normal School campus. An addition was built in 1915 that increased accommodations to satisfy 112 students. Kamola Hall was used by the Army Air Corp during…

ca. 1940.
The Kittitas County Courthouse built in 1887 was locacted on Courthouse Square on Main Street. This photograph taken during the early 1940s shows a well established courthouse surrounded by large trees and flower gardens. A large flagpole was on…

1900.
The large, two story brick Kittitas County Courthouse was built in 1887 on the northwest corner of Main Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues. The courthouse was located in the center of the block known as Courthouse Square. The courthouse was…

1900.
Kittitas Count Courthouse showing group of men and women in front of entrance of courthouse. Kittitas County Sheriff Levy V. Winegar (Wynegar) wearing a derby hat is fourth man from the right.Levi V. Winegar (Wynegar) married the daughter of William…

1904.
By the early 1900s, the Kittitas Valley had 800 milk producing farms and dairies. Several large and successful creameries such as the Ellensburg, Cloverdale and Spring Creek Creameries were in operation. Wagons with full milk cans unload at this…

ca. 1900.
Located at the busy intersection of Third and Pearl Streets, the Kriegel Building housed many Ellensburg businesses. The large building was constructed immediately after the July 1889 fire by Samuel Kriegel. Workman positioning the large finial…

ca 1900.
The Kriegel Building constructed during the fall and winter of 1889 by Samuel Kriegel was an impressive Ellensburg landmark. Located on the northeast corner of Third and Pearl Streets, the building was mordernized during the 1940s with the removal…

1917.
More people participated than watched as this parade moved north on Pennsylvania Avenue. Identifiable businesses are the Rose Theatre built in 1909, M. W. Davies' Jewelry Store, and a millinery shop. Note the relatively tree-less ridge at top.

ca. 1940.
The Lighthouse Cabin Court, also called The Lighthouse Motel and the Lighthouse Auto Court, was built by Paul Lundstrom in 1935. Lundstrom owned and operated the court with its 15 "cozy cabins." Located on West Eighth Avenue the auto court had a…

1908.
Located on North Pine Street between Seventh and Eighth Avenues were the Lourdes Academy and the St. Andrews Catholic Church. The church was built in 1884 and moved to this location in 1904. The academy was completed in the fall of 1908. It was…

July 1924.
Located on North Pine Street between Seventh and Eighth Avenues, Lourdes Academy was built in 1908. Lourdes Academy was used as a school for Catholic children. In addition to the school, the building was used as a convent and residential quarters…