Webster Hotel Fire.Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection Photographs



Collection

Citation

Unknown., “Webster Hotel Fire.Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection Photographs,” Brooks Library Digital Collections, accessed October 30, 2014, http://digital.lib.cwu.edu/items/show/8421.

Social Bookmarking

Dublin Core

Title

Webster Hotel Fire.Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection Photographs

Subject

Historic buildings -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg; Ellensburg (Washington) -- Buildings, Historic; Webster Hotel (Ellensburg, Wash.); Majestic Hotel (Ellensburg, Wash.); St. Regis Hotel (Ellensburg, Wash.); Fires -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg; Winter scenes -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg

Description

Built in 1909 for the Ellensburg Brewing and Malting Co., the original two story brick building was valued at $16,000. Located on the southwest corner of Third and Pearl Streets, it opened in November 1909 as the Majestic Hotel. The structure was renamed the St. Regis in 1913 when it was purchased by Fred Groger who added a third floor to the hotel. In 1937 William Webster purchased the hotel which was renamed the Webster Hotel. The fire started on January 30, 1980 in a ground floor room which quickly spread through the entire hotel. Fighting the fire during below zero winter weather, firefighters soon encased the old hotel in ice. By the spring of 1980, the ruins of the completely destroyed building had to be removed.

Creator

Unknown.

Source

Ellensburg Public Library

Publisher

Ellensburg Public Library

Date

January 30, 1980.

Rights

Permission to reproduce this image must be requested from the director of the Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection. Please contact at 209 N. Ruby St.. Ellensburg, WA 98926, (509) 962-7252.

Type

8"x10" colored photograph.

Identifier

BLD-042