The Ellensburg Presbyterian Academy.Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection Photographs



Collection

Citation

Unknown., “The Ellensburg Presbyterian Academy.Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection Photographs,” Brooks Library Digital Collections, accessed April 21, 2014, http://digital.lib.cwu.edu/items/show/8430.

Social Bookmarking

Dublin Core

Title

The Ellensburg Presbyterian Academy.Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection Photographs

Subject

Ellensburg (Wash.) -- Buildings, Historic; Historic buildings -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg; Ellensburg Presbyterian Academy (Ellensburg, Wash.); Presbyterian Church (Ellensburg, Wash.); School buildings -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg

Description

In July 1879, a group of Ellensburg residents organized a Presbyterian Church. Rev, James A. Laurie, minister from 1884 to 1889, established the Ellensburg Presbyterian Academy for local children. Ten lots in Block 39 of Shoudy's First Addition were acquired for $1,300 on which was located the old Presbyterian Church. The Academy was located on the south end of the block between Sprague and Anderson Streets and Fifth and Sixth Avenues. Rev. Laurie with the help of church members constructed a two story building, 35 x 70 feet. One room of the academy was used for church services until 1898. When the Washington Territory became a state in 1889, money became available to public schools in Ellensburg. The Ellensburg Academy discontinued as a school in 1889 when the building was moved to the north end of the block. A large sanctuary was added to the old academy building to become the First Presbyterian Church.Artist drawing for a Northwest magazine or newspaper.

Creator

Unknown.

Source

Ellensburg Public Library

Publisher

Ellensburg Public Library

Date

ca. 1887.

Rights

Permission to reproduce this image must be requested from the director of the Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection. Please contact at 209 N. Ruby St.. Ellensburg, WA 98926, (509) 962-7252.

Type

8" x10" b/w enlarged photographic copy of original artist's drawing.

Identifier

BLD-088