Iron and Coal Mining Center.Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection Photographs



Collection

Citation

North Pacific History Company, Portland, Oregon., “Iron and Coal Mining Center.Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection Photographs,” Brooks Library Digital Collections, accessed April 19, 2014, http://digital.lib.cwu.edu/items/show/8440.

Social Bookmarking

Dublin Core

Title

Iron and Coal Mining Center.Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection Photographs

Subject

Kittitas County (Wash.) -- Streets, Historic; Historic streets -- Washington (State) -- Cle Elum; Streets -- Washington (State) -- Cle Elum; Northern Pacific Railroad (Cle Elum, Wash.); Reed, Walter; Brosious, Pete; Reed House (Cle Elum, Wash.); Coal Mining -- Washington (State) -- Cle Elum; Lumbering -- Washington (State) -- Cle Elum

Description

Thomas Gamble and Walter Reed homesteaded in the Cle Elum - Teanaway area in the northern portion of Kittitas County in the early years of the 1880s. With the discovery of coal in 1884 by Walter Reed and Pete Brosious and the construction of the Northern Pacific Railroad in 1886, Cle Elum became a major coal mining district in Washington Territory. Lumber mills were built to supply materials for the railroad, mines and homes for miners and their families. Walter Reed and his wife Barbara built the Reed House in 1886 and for years was the only place that could be used for a public meeting hall. The amount and quality of iron ore did not warrant widespread iron mining in the area.Lithograph from Volume II. History of the Pacific Northwest: Oregon and Washington. 1889. Lithograph titled, "Washington - Cle Elum, The Iron and Coal Mining Center.

Creator

North Pacific History Company, Portland, Oregon.

Source

Ellensburg Public Library

Publisher

Ellensburg Public Library

Date

1889.

Rights

Permission to reproduce this image must be requested from the director of the Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection. Please contact at 209 N. Ruby St.. Ellensburg, WA 98926, (509) 962-7252.

Type

6 1/2" x 9 1/2" b/w reprint of the original published lithograph.

Identifier

STS-079