South Cle Elum II.Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection Photographs



Collection

Citation

L. B. Waters., “South Cle Elum II.Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection Photographs,” Brooks Library Digital Collections, accessed April 24, 2014, http://digital.lib.cwu.edu/items/show/8485.

Social Bookmarking

Dublin Core

Title

South Cle Elum II.Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection Photographs

Subject

Kittitas County (Wash.) -- Streets, Historic; Historic streets -- Washington (State) -- South Cle Elum; Streets -- Washington (State) -- South Cle Elum; Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad; Blunt, D. W.

Description

The town of South Cle Elum was plotted in 1905. This resulted in a real estate boom. The town was laid out with four additions, namely: Burcham, Reed, Dixon and Petenger. The first store was a hardward store opened in 1905 by D. W. Blunt. He added a grocery store in 1906. The Johnson Brothers opened a General Store in 1909 which they sold to theWoods Brothers in 1917. Three saloons were operated during the years 1906 to 1912 by Charles Murry, Alvin Gurber and Ben Littler. A rooming house and restaurant was managed by Mr. Thompson. Construction of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad reached South Cle Elum in 1905 and the first train arrived in 1908.Postcard titled, "So. Cle Elum, Wn." (L. B. Waters Photos)

Creator

L. B. Waters.

Source

Ellensburg Public Library

Publisher

Ellensburg Public Library

Date

ca. 1909.

Rights

Permission to reproduce this image must be requested from the director of the Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection. Please contact at 209 N. Ruby St.. Ellensburg, WA 98926, (509) 962-7252.

Type

4 1/2" x 6 3/4" b/w enlarged reprint of original photograph postcard.

Identifier

STS-075