The Ellensburgh Public School.Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection Photographs



Collection

Citation

Unknown., “The Ellensburgh Public School.Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection Photographs,” Brooks Library Digital Collections, accessed August 21, 2014, http://digital.lib.cwu.edu/items/show/8493.

Social Bookmarking

Dublin Core

Title

The Ellensburgh Public School.Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection Photographs

Subject

Ellensburg (Wash.) -- Buildings, Historic; Historic buildings -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg; Ellensburgh Public School (Ellensburg, Wash.); School buildings -- Washington (State -- Ellensburg

Description

The Ellensburgh Public School, known both as the Washington and the Central Public School, was built on the south portion of Block 39 of Shoudy's First Addition on E. Fifth Avenue between Sprague and Anderson Streets. The building was begun in July 1890. The architect was Willis A. Ritchie of Seattle and the contract was awarded to John Scott of Ellensburg for $38, 650. The city traded what was the City Park block to the school district. The City Council appropriated $1,000 for the school clock in the tower. The new school was open for use in September 1891. The large school was destroyed by fire in November 1924.Artist drawing for a Northwest magazine or newspaper.

Creator

Unknown.

Source

Ellensburg Public Library

Publisher

Ellensburg Public Library

Date

ca. 1887.

Rights

Permission to reproduce this image must be requested from the director of the Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection. Please contact at 209 N. Ruby St.. Ellensburg, WA 98926, (509) 962-7252.

Type

8" x10" b/w enlarged photographic copy of original artist's drawing.

Identifier

BLD-089