Ellensburg Carnegie Public Library V.Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection Photographs



Collection

Citation

Unknown., “Ellensburg Carnegie Public Library V.Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection Photographs,” Brooks Library Digital Collections, accessed November 27, 2014, http://digital.lib.cwu.edu/items/show/8550.

Social Bookmarking

Dublin Core

Title

Ellensburg Carnegie Public Library V.Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection Photographs

Subject

Ellensburg (Wash.) -- Buildings, Historic; Historic buildings -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg; Public Library (Ellensburg, Wash.); Public buildings -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg; Library buildings -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg

Description

Built in late 1909 and opened in 1919, the Ellensburg Carnegie Public Library was the first public library in the city. A $10,000 grant from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation was used for construction. The furnishings and entire book collection as well as the librarian's salary were supplied by local funds. Lloyd's Opera House on right and Wipple house on left. The building served as a library from 1919 until 1966.

Creator

Unknown.

Source

Ellensburg Public Library

Publisher

Ellensburg Public Library

Date

ca. 1940.

Rights

Permission to reproduce this image must be requested from the director of the Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection. Please contact at 209 N. Ruby St.. Ellensburg, WA 98926, (509) 962-7252.

Type

6" x7 1/2" b/w original photograph.

Identifier

BLD-086