East Third Street.Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection Photographs



Collection

Citation

Unknown., “East Third Street.Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection Photographs,” Brooks Library Digital Collections, accessed December 22, 2014, http://digital.lib.cwu.edu/items/show/8561.

Social Bookmarking

Dublin Core

Title

East Third Street.Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection Photographs

Subject

Ellensburg (Wash.) -- Streets, Historic; Historic streets -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg; Streets -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg; Commercial streets -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg; Third Street (Ellensburg, Wash.); City and town life -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg; Isis Theater (Ellensburg, Wash.); M. Bartholet & Co. Store (Ellensburg, Wash.); Lloyd's Opera House (Ellensburg, Wash.); Ellensburg Theatre Co. (Ellensburg, Wash.); Methodist Church (Ellensburg, Wash.); Cadwell Building (Ellensburg, Wash.)

Description

Looking east on Third Street between Pearl and Pine Streets, two men and a boy posed in their wagon which was pulled by two restless horses. The one story brick Isis Theatre on the north side of the street was built after 1897. The theatre operated at 119 E. Third for many years during the early part of the 20th century. Forrest E. Andrews and Sidney I. Atkison owned the theatre at the time this photograph was taken. The Cadwell Building was built immediately after the July 4, 1889 fire by E. P. Cadwell and J. C. Lloyd on the southwest corner of Third and Pine Streets. The well-known horseshoe arched windows was the location of the M. Bartholet & Co. dry goods store. Bartholet opened the drys good and grocery business in 1899. The massive brick building, on the southeast corner of Pine and Third Streets, was the Lloyd's Opera House. It was Ellensburg's first opera house established in 1890 by J. C. Lloyd (1854-1934). After several failures, the city's businessmen organized the Ellensburg Theatre Company in 1900 and purchased the building for $8,000. With an additional $19,000 in remodeling costs, the Opera House operated for many years. The opera house was torn down in March of 1953 to make way for a parking lot. The tall stately steeple of the Methodist Church can be seen to the left of the horse's head.

Creator

Unknown.

Source

Ellensburg Public Library

Publisher

Ellensburg Public Library

Date

ca. 1909.

Rights

Permission to reproduce this image must be requested from the director of the Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection. Please contact at 209 N. Ruby St.. Ellensburg, WA 98926, (509) 962-7252.

Type

6 ¾" x 9 ¾" b/w reprint of original photograph.

Identifier

STS-031