Big Store Company Building.Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection Photographs



Collection

Citation

O. W. Pautzke (1863-1918)., “Big Store Company Building.Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection Photographs,” Brooks Library Digital Collections, accessed September 1, 2014, http://digital.lib.cwu.edu/items/show/8585.

Social Bookmarking

Dublin Core

Title

Big Store Company Building.Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection Photographs

Subject

Historic buildings -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg; Ellensburg (Washington) -- Buildings, Historic; Nash Block (Ellensburg, Wash.); The Big Store (Ellensburg, Wash.); Commercial buildings -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg; Stores, Retail -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg

Description

The Big Store Company Building originally known as the Nash Block was located on the southeast corner of Fifth and Main Street. Bradshaw, Murray and Hornbeck purchased the entire building for a department store selling everything from paints to buggies to furniture. In 1912, Katerina Murray, the widow of early pioneer David Murray, and her brother-in-law bought out Bradshaw. The upper stories of the building were used as apartments and offices.O. W. Pautzke took several photographs of buildings, businesses, homes and rural scenes for an article in the April 1908 Coast Magazine which highlighted Kittitas County. The Coast Magazine was published in Portland, Oregon. The photograph also was featured in a May 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition article in the Ellensburg Capital newspaper.

Creator

O. W. Pautzke (1863-1918).

Source

Ellensburg Public Library

Publisher

Ellensburg Public Library

Date

Spring 1908.

Rights

Permission to reproduce this image must be requested from the director of the Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection. Please contact at 209 N. Ruby St.. Ellensburg, WA 98926, (509) 962-7252.

Type

8x10"b/w enlarged reprint of a magazine photograph.

Identifier

BLD-011