Horton Hotel.Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection Photographs



Collection

Citation

Unknown., “Horton Hotel.Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection Photographs,” Brooks Library Digital Collections, accessed October 22, 2014, http://digital.lib.cwu.edu/items/show/8601.

Social Bookmarking

Dublin Core

Title

Horton Hotel.Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection Photographs

Subject

Historic buildings -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg; Ellensburg (Washington) -- Buildings, Historic; Horton Hotel (Ellensburg, Wash.); Antlers Hotel (Ellensburg, Wash.); Hotels -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg; Hotel Horton (Ellensburg, Wash.)

Description

The Horton Hotel was planned by its builders to be the greatest convention center and hostelry in the Northwest. The hotel site on the southwest corner of Sixth and Pearl Streets was donated by George Elliott. The structure was built by two Kansans, John Moffett and W. M. Dignon. The cost of the structure was $55,000 and the citizens of Ellensburg contributed $5,000 of the cost to show their support. The promoters billed the new 95 room structure as being heated by steam and lighted by electricity. The hotel was in the final stages of construction when the July 4th 1889 fire swept through the city leaving the "new palace" unscathed. The hotel was officially completed in 1890. The Horton was later named the Antlers Hotel and was completely destroyed by fire in October 1967.

Creator

Unknown.

Source

Ellensburg Public Library

Publisher

Ellensburg Public Library

Date

1889.

Rights

Permission to reproduce this image must be requested from the director of the Ellensburg Public Library Local History Collection. Please contact at 209 N. Ruby St.. Ellensburg, WA 98926, (509) 962-7252.

Type

8"x10" b/w enlarged photographic reprint from original.

Identifier

BLD-029